Whaler’s Base & Ulva Island Combo
Stroll the Ulva Island open bird sanctuary on a flexible freedom walk, before discovering a little-known part of Stewart Island’s fascinating history: between 1923 and 1933 the Ross Sea Whaling Company of Norway made 9 expeditions to Antarctica while using a base in Paterson Inlet. The ‘Whaler’s Base’ was used to repair the whaler chasers in between seasons.
- Flexible departure times to the Ulva Island bird sanctuary by water taxi
- Pick up directly from Ulva for your 1 hour vessel-based Whaler’s Base Tour
- On-board photographic guides and fascinating commentary from your local skipper and guide
- View the relics including the old rusty workshop boiler and foundations of the slipway, from the vessel (optional walk add-on (from $25pa) to disembark and explore, with a later pick up from the stunning Millar’s Beach)
- Suitable for groups of 2 – 50 adults
- Heated cabin, comfortable seating with maximum viewing and photography opportunities
What to bring
- Warm, comfortable clothing
- Closed footwear
- Personal water bottle and snacks
For more information about our service to Ulva Island, click here.